Open Positions at FieldKit
Conservify (Conservify.org) is an open conservation technology firm that empowers conservationists and communities to tackle environmental challenges by making effective conservation more accessible. Through the development of new technology built to disrupt the current market, Conservify is breaking new ground in the democratization of conservation activities and data.
As part of their mission to build an “open conservation” community, Conservify is currently developing an innovative new product called FieldKit, due to launch in 2020. The product is an open-source software and hardware sensor platform that optimizes data collection and sharing from the field. The product will be low cost and easy to use, and will bridge the gap between hard science and storytelling by facilitating data storytelling through engaging visualizations and built-in connections to social media. The first of its kind in the conservation space, it has the potential to revolutionize conservation technology.
Conservify is seeking a hands-on, digital-savvy Community Manager with strong interpersonal skills to help us build FieldKit’s brand awareness, community, and loyalty. The ideal candidate is an empathetic self-starter, and implements a robust strategy while actively responding to emerging community needs. As the “platform glue”, they bring the product to life. Through forum management and engaging cross-platform communication, they build relationships – empowering users and developers to realize the value of FieldKit in their own projects and the power of working together as a FieldKit community.
They are a proactive problem-solver, able to juggle and prioritize competing needs, and confident meeting tight deadlines with local and remote teams. They must have a passion for conservation technology, and be excited to engage a passionate open source community. Previous experience engaging and supporting open source communities is a plus.
If you meet the below criteria and want to see your work impact positively on the environment and our planet’s natural treasures, then we want to speak with you. We value a diversity of backgrounds and expertise so if you’re confident in your ability to do the job, then we encourage you to apply.
Full time. Position to start July/August.
- Builds relationships with current and potential FieldKit user and developer community members, uses their own FieldKit product daily, responds to comments and requests, and deepens engagement. Empowers and incentivizes users and developers to realize the value of FieldKit in their own projects and the power of working together as a FieldKit community
- Manages social media channels and forums, and curates engaging cross-platform content including emailers, blog posts, articles, interviews, webinars, events, and videos. Builds a network of user-generated content and volunteer contributors to deepen community engagement and education, including the Open Sensor Library
- Champions FieldKit’s mission and vision, supporting pitches and representing FieldKit at our own or other networking events or relevant industry workshops and with external agencies or journalists to build brand awareness
- Spearheads FieldKit’s community management process, developing and executing a community management strategy, community guidelines, and content strategy. Defines and tracks success, analyzing web traffic and relevant community metrics and adapting to new learnings, all-the-while relaying community feedback to the product team
- At least five years experience with building online and real-world communities
- A strong history of managing social media channels
- Experience deploying and maintaining online forums, IRC channels, etc.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills to tell a good story
- Empathetic and strategic thinker
- Knowledge of marketing trends and techniques
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Comfortable trying new things, failing, learning, and adapting
- Comfortable in Google Analytics, Hootsuite, Brand 24, CXL or similar, MailChimp, Drip or similar, Google suite, Slack, Adobe Premier or similar
- Must have valid U.S. work authorization without the need for sponsorship by the company
- Degree or experience in Environmental sciences, English, Communication, Journalism, Marketing or related field
- Experience with:
- Open-source hardware and software
- Conservation technology
- Engagement with not-for-profit partners
- Collaborating with teachers and developing curricula
- Working with communities outside of North America & Europe
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com