Open Positions at FieldKit
Quality Assurance Tester / Production Assistant
Conservify (Conservify.org) is an open conservation technology firm that empowers conservationists and communities to tackle environmental challenges by making effective conservation more accessible. Through the development of new technology built to disrupt the current market, Conservify is breaking new ground in the democratization of conservation activities and data.
As part of their mission to build an “open conservation” community, Conservify is currently developing an innovative new product called FieldKit, due to launch in 2020. The product is an open-source software and hardware sensor platform that optimizes data collection and sharing from the field. The product will be low cost and easy to use, and will bridge the gap between hard science and storytelling by facilitating data storytelling through engaging visualizations and built-in connections to social media. The first of its kind in the conservation space, it has the potential to revolutionize conservation technology.
Conservify is seeking a hands-on Quality Assurance Tester / Production Assistant to help us validate the quality and usability of the FieldKit platform across its hardware and software components. This includes the set-up and deployment of environmental sensors using the mobile app, and management and sharing of sensor data via the website. This is a hybrid role that will also include production support responsibilities e.g. expedition preparation and logistics, and managing customer support tickets. The ideal candidate is curious and self-sufficient, has experience with software and hardware testing, careful attention to detail, and strong analytical, documentation and communication skills.
They are a proactive problem-solver and team-player with the ability to empathize with the end user. They must have a passion for conservation technology, and engaging an enthusiastic open source community. Prior professional quality assurance experience hardware, or software development experience is a plus.
If you meet the below criteria and want to see your work impact positively on the environment and our planet’s natural treasures, then we want to speak with you. We value a diversity of backgrounds and expertise so if you’re confident in your ability to do the job, then we encourage you to apply.
Position to start February 2020. Reports to the Tech Lead and Product Owner.
- Conduct best-practice quality assurance to validate the quality and usability of the FieldKit platform. This includes identifying and reproducing issues, generating issue reports, assisting developers with issue analysis, and verifying patches and bug fixes.
- Provide production assistance. Support product development and production efforts, usability testing sessions and volunteer testers. Assist with product documentation (photography and film), content entry, inventory monitoring, expedition preparation and logistics, build hardware enclosures and assemble products.
- Customer Support. Manage customer support tickets and work with developers to resolve issues
- Strong documentation and communication skills within a team environment
- An understanding of web-delivered applications
- Knowledgeable about popular web browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.) and major operating systems (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Unix).
- Effective oral and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work independently, and an openness to variety and trying new things
- Must have valid U.S. work authorization without the need for sponsorship by the company
- Experience with the processes of software and hardware development, and fabrication
- Experience with developing automated test scripts
- Experience with Jira, Zendesk and similar programs
- A technical degree is preferred, but not required (in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Math, or a related technical degree with a Computer Science minor)
- To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org